2009-05-03

How I (let) scan...

Something new to learn.
I went scanning this week (on Thuesday). The bag was heavy. 12 canvases.. I even had to take an extra bag although mine is huge and the extra-bag was still missing (because my editor forgot to give it back :/ ) so I strolled around with something that looked like smuggling weapons or a little rocket... or both.
For those who always wanted to have a big bag where you can transport canvases and like ten million things along:


that´s mine... 72 x 55 x 7 cm for around 35 bucks. You won´t get a better for THAT price and I love the bag. I had a MH Way years ago but the problem is that you can´t put that many canvases in. Horray for a bag! (and you know, this is the only bag Ty carries around for me... because it´s sooo impressivly huge- sure a cool thing ).

Back to scanning. I´ve been scanning on a Cruse cam for over two years now. And I could cry every time I see the results. Not because those are bad but because I had to scan the images for my first book on a roll scanner. Which means you have to cut the canvas from the frame. And if the roll scanner doesn´t grip the canvas right the colors suck. The colors suck anyway so whatever you do: Never scan on a roll scanner. Never.

The Cruse scanner looks like this:


The top is the actual scan head. On both sides (45°) are fluorecent tubes (the REAL.. expensive-I-will-never-be-able-to-afford-those daylight lamps since they have to "warm up" (just like my Lilliput) for 20 minutes). The canvas (or object) is put onto the flat screen at the bottom. There are different measurement scales on so that the scanner can position the object accurately.

As you might see there is no real "touching" which is the reason why highly damagable things are scanned with the Cruse. Mr. König, my favourite scanner (who is now owner of the Kulla book he scanned... ) told me that the German Museum scanned some of the sensitive papers (like original music sheets, letters..) on it. Which is understandable. Try to do that on a roll scanner *haha >_>*

When the canvas is on the Cruse, the head moves slightly and scans the surface (in that case all two centimeters down... which means the edges of the canvas is really sharp). For artists who work with medium or structure paste this is heaven, because the camera catches all uneven parts without extreme shadows. If you wanna learn more google Cruse camera.
I just want to add that scanning is pricy. If you don´t do a mass-scanning the setup might be listed extra and ... well, let me mention that I payed over 350 Euro. For my Thuesday visit. And this was one of three appointments. I think the price is totally okay for me and for book illustrations but if you just want to digitalize a little canvas/illustration "for fun" you might consider your home scanner or a photo repro (as a cheaper solution).

No comments: